Friday, March 2, 2012

Burning Free

Burning free

I’m lighting a match
Just to get close to the fire
I can’t start in my yard
Without a permit-

My last cigarette is dry
From waiting to fulfill
Its purpose
That is now forbidden –

I’m staring at the match
And incredibly wish
I had my old gas lamp back,
Study books and all;
I hate these eco-bulbs
So sterile and predictable
But that’s all we are allowed –

I bring the glowing flame
Close, very close to my eyes
Until I can feel them reflecting it
On the inside.
I try to memorize it,
To record it,
As it’s burning my fingers -
I absorb it
With such intensity
Until I feel it set fire
To all the dust I’ve collected inside
And then to all the junk
I’ve collected over the years
In my chest –

And then,
As the fire is burning wild,
I feel free.

1 comment: